top of page
Guide to export 



ZimTrade has prepared this simple Exporting-in-12-Steps Guide for the benefit of Zimbabwean exporters and would-be exporters.

ZimTrade Guide to Zimbabwe’s Trade Agreements

This Guide provides exporters and importers with an overview of the Trade Agreements that Zimbabwe has entered with other countries and groups of countries.

What is a trade agreement? – A trade agreement is a contract/pact between two or more nations that outlines how they work together to ensure mutual benefit in trade. The most common trade agreements are of the preferential and/or free trade types that are concluded in order to reduce (or eliminate) tariffs, quotas and other trade restrictions on qualifying products traded between the signatory countries.

How to Register to Qualify Under a Trade Agreement – In order to qualify under most of the Bilateral and the Multi-lateral Trade Agreements it is necessary for the company/exporter to register with ZIMRA.

Which Trade Agreements does Zimbabwe have? – Zimbabwe currently has five (5) operational preferential bilateral trade agreements under which exporters can benefit. These are:

  • Zimbabwe and Botswana;

  • Zimbabwe and Malawi;

  • Zimbabwe and Mozambique;

  • Zimbabwe and Namibia;

Zimbabwe also has five (5) operational preferential multilateral trade agreements under which exporters can benefit. These are:

  • SADC Trade Protocol

  • COMESA Free Trade Area

  • EU Economic Partnership Agreement

  • UK Economic Partnership Agreement

  • African Continental Free Trade Area

For more information on trade agreements, kindly visit the ZimTrade website 

General Horticulture Export Requirements

1.Each shipment must be accompanied by a complete set of documentation irrespective of consignment size (documents include CD1 Form, Agro-dealer Certificate, Phytosanitary Certificate, etc)


2.Agro-dealer/Agro-producer certificate is obtained from the Agricultural Marketing Authority (AMA). An annual registration fee is charged and depends on whether you are an agro-dealer or agro-producer


3.Phytosanitary certificate is obtained from Plant Quarantine Services Institute for plant health. 


4.Export permit is issued by the Ministry of Lands, Agriculture and Rural Resettlement. This is issued for a specific quantity and time period.


The export permit from the Ministry is required by Plant Health Inspectors at the export points as well as ZIMRA

Disclaimer: This is the basic process flow, although some markets will specify other documents.

In addition to that, know your market requirements and the certification schemes or food safety standards required by the buyers, importers,  distributors e.g. GLOBAL G.A.P. FSSC 22000 etc.

Engage a consultant specialised in the particular certification schemes or food safety standards required by your export market for the certification process involved. Also engage a licensed certification body specialized in the certification scheme or food safety standard for certification.

Global G.A.P

A voluntary certification standard that most European and Middle East buyers insist on. 


The standard is primarily designed to reassure consumers about how food is produced on the farm by minimising detrimental environmental impacts of farming operations, reducing the use of chemical inputs and ensuring a responsible approach to worker health and safety as well as animal welfare. 


There are 2 types of certification

1.Single user – this can be single user with multiple pieces of land

2.Multiple users for one certification

GLOBAL G.A.P: 5 Steps to Get Certi

1.Download the relevant GLOBALG.A.P. Standard documents and checklists from their Document Center on their website.


2.Compare offers from the certification bodies in your country, register with the one you choose, and get your GLOBALG.A.P. Number (GGN). Unfortunately Zimbabwe doesn’t have one yet and the closest is in South Africa

3.Carry out a self-assessment using the checklist and correct all the points you do not comply with. A GLOBALG.A.P. licensed Farm Assurer, who is a trained and approved consultant, can provide you with valuable assistance during your audit preparations.


4.Arrange an appointment with your GLOBALG.A.P. approved certification body. An inspector will then conduct the first on-site inspection.

5.Once you successfully comply with the standard’s requirements, you will receive a GLOBALG.A.P. Integrated Farm Assurance Standard certificate for the relevant version and scope which is valid for one year.

bottom of page